Michigan State University College of Agriculture and Natural Resources invites nominations and applications for the full-time, tenure-track annual position of Chairperson of the Department of Community Sustainability, an interdisciplinary department that provides a stimulating intellectual environment for engaged scholarship. Most members of the faculty are social scientists, but the Department also includes individuals with backgrounds in the natural sciences and humanities. Research, teaching, and outreach programs in the Department engage with a broad array of communities to address sustainability challenges and goals. The Department’s commitment to interdisciplinary scholarship, recent growth in student enrollment, a cadre of newly hired faculty, and an identity that emphasizes community engagement provide a rich opportunity for leadership to support and enhance an inclusive departmental vision. Formal review of applications will begin April 17, 2017 and the position is available as early as August 16, 2017.
The Chairperson of the Department of Community Sustainability provides facilitative leadership to the Department in all teaching, research, extension, and outreach programs and is expected to maintain and enhance a creative and productive environment for the faculty, support staff, and students. The Chairperson serves as the chief administrative officer of the Department, and reports directly to the Dean of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources and interacts with senior leadership of the College, Michigan State University Extension and MSU AgBioResearch (formerly Michigan Agricultural Experiment Station) on a regular basis. Specific responsibilities of the Chairperson include:
- Provide facilitative leadership to advance the mission and vision of the Department;
- Advance strategic short- and long-range program planning and development for research, teaching, and extension/outreach programs;
- Support faculty and student achievement throughout the Department, and foster a culture of collaboration, creativity, and mentorship;
- Work cooperatively within the governance structure of the Department, which currently includes an associate chair, coordinators of undergraduate and graduate programs, and a faculty-elected Faculty Advisory Committee;
- Work cooperatively within the larger governance structure of the College and University;
- Foster diversity, equity and inclusion within the Department and its programs;
- Foster a community of Department alumni;
- Recruit excellent faculty and staff, assign responsibilities, evaluate performance, and promote faculty, student, and staff development;
- Manage and administer Department budget and provide oversight in the procurement of financial and other resources; and
- Advance fund development at the Department, College, and University levels.
Formal review of applications will begin on April 17, 2017, and the search will remain open until the Chairperson position is filled. The position is available as early as August 16, 2017.
Official Job Posting: jobs.msu.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=70076.