The USSEE Board of Directors is soliciting nominees for two awards (the Herman Daly Award and Bernardo Aguilar Award) to be given in conjunction with the 2019 ESA & USSEE Joint Meeting, to be held August 11th-16th in Louisville, Kentucky.
The deadline for nominations is May 1st. Details on award criteria and submissions are below:
- The Herman Daly Award, was established in 2003 in honor of one of the visionaries and founders of ecological economics, Herman Daly. The award is designed to recognize outstanding contributions to the field, and acknowledges individuals who have connected ecological economic thinking to practical applications and solutions that are sustainable in scale, equitable in distribution, and efficient in allocation. The award criteria include the following:
- made visionary contributions to the field of ecological economics
- connected ecological economic thinking to practical applications
- created conceptual frameworks and practical solutions to sustainability challenges
- identified policies and processes that advance social and environmental sustainability
- advanced the recognition of scale as an essential part of sustainability
- advanced distributive justice and social consciousness as an essential part of sustainability
- contributed to conservation and the just allocation of resources
A list of past Daly Award winners can be found at
Please send nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1st. Nominations should include the name, affiliation and contact information of your nominee, and a brief statement describing the nominee’s qualifications for the Herman Daly Award. The Board will review all nominations and select the recipient.
- The Bernardo Aguilar Award, was established in 2007 and is given to a person nominated and selected by students. The award was created to recognize a professional who has inspired students through teaching, research, ideas, and/or mentoring in ecological economics.
Please circulate to students! Students can submit nominations to email@example.com by May 1st. Nominations should include the name, affiliation and contact information of your nominee, and a brief statement describing the nominee’s qualifications for the Bernardo Aguilar Award. The Board will compile the nominations and call for a student vote to select the award winner.