Position: Senior Environmental/Ecological Economist
Topic: Climate change and energy economics, ecosystems valuation sectors
Salary range: Competitive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications
Start date: Fall 2012 (as soon as possible)
Duty station: Tallinn, Estonia
Application deadline: 15 October 2012
The Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) seeks a senior level researcher to strengthen the environmental economics research in the field of climate change, energy and ecosystems services in SEI. The new position focuses on interdisciplinary (socio-)economic analysis of sustainable pathways to low carbon economy. The Senior Environmental Economist will join the SEI Tallinn team, Estonia, and lead research activities that assess and advance the contribution of climate economics, energy economics and ecosystems services valuation.
Areas of focus will depend in part on the successful applicant’s particular strengths and are likely to include several of the following topics: economic assessment of policy measures, economic analysis of pathways to low carbon societies, valuation of marine and terrestrial ecosystem services, impacts of consumption and trade patterns, sustainable consumption and production, new green economy indicators, policy analyses on beyond GDP progress measures, green fiscal instruments, green technology and innovation issues as well as environmental economics accounting. The Senior Economist shall work closely with government agencies, policy makers, and research organizations in Estonia, the Baltic Sea Region and Europe, and across the SEI centers.
The applicant should demonstrate an understanding of both development and environment in line with the SEI mission and be able to conduct independent analysis and reflect critically on conventional economic reasoning and debate. She/he should have a solid background in economics, but also a demonstrated experience and interest in working across disciplines and various stakeholders (and bridging science and policy).
The new position presents an opportunity to join a leading research institute and contribute to the management of a dynamic and exciting team, with flexibility to follow one’s own research interests.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Plan, develop and implement innovative research projects addressing policies and actions to enhance transition to a low carbon economy, the integration of ecosystem services valuation and beyond GDP progress measures to policy making.
- Maintain and build relationships with existing funders and partners; find and secure new funding opportunities.
- Manage, mentor, and collaborate with staff researchers, provide regular guidance and feedback to colleagues, and monitor the quality of the research process.
- Explore joint research opportunities and collaborate with colleagues at other SEI centers.
- Review and manage project outputs from the research team, including publications and other materials to ensure they meet the project objectives and SEI quality standards.
- Present research results externally and raise the profile of SEI research.
The applicant should possess outstanding research, leadership, management, organizational, interpersonal, and networking abilities. She/he should have both a strong interdisciplinary inclination in research efforts and a strong commitment to protecting the natural environment and improving human well-being. The position requires:
- An advanced degree and significant work experience, a PhD plus at least 5 years of work experience and an outstanding record of publications in related fields.
- Substantial knowledge of and networks and contacts in one or more of the related policy arenas.
- Solid, demonstrated experience applying quantitative analysis to policy applications and environmental economics accounting, including the use of modeling tools and interpretation of modeling results.
- Demonstrated strong writing and presentation skills (for both technical and public audiences).
- A strong record of research project design and management, securing external funding, and publications.
- Good communications skills and ability and desire to work as a team player.
- Proven success in work relations with a wide range of partners, including research institutes, governments, and other non-profit organizations.
Competitive compensation package commensurate with experience and qualifications. To be negotiated.
How to apply:
Please send your application and supporting documents to Ms Külli Putmaker ( email@example.com
). The package should include:
- Application letter (highlighting relevant qualifications and experience)
- Motivation letter (also envisioning your work at SEI)
- CV (in English, including major projects led, relevant publications from the past 5 years, and three professional references.
Deadline of submission of application: 15th October 2012
State the following reference: Senior Environmental Economist, Tallinn
Employer and workplace
Stockholm Environment Institute Tallinn Centre (SEI Tallinn)
Lai Str 34, EE 10133 Tallinn, Estonia